Custom Search

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mud Master Swamp_Rat will become famous soon enough Swamp_Rat's Avatar
    Recieved 60 Thanks in 40 Posts

AniQuestion 2004 Chevy Duramax Problems?

Looking at buying a 2004 Chevy Duramax crew cab with 144000 miles. Any problems I should be aware of? Any info would help. Thanks
    Russ

Mud Maniac compoundfractureracing will become famous soon enough compoundfractureracing will become famous soon enough compoundfractureracing's Avatar
    Recieved 113 Thanks in 90 Posts

how much you givin for this truck? I got one i'm going to be posting tonight onces i get pics. with less miles. Actually the 2004 is the right year to get because it doesn't have all the emissions for the exhaust but you still get the new body style. Only problem there is tools cause some of the tools haven't came out for it yet..only gm dealer has them. I guess maybe it's cause we own a 2005 and have no problems
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE...YOU AIN'T HAVIN' FUN!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Cowboy & Mandy-

He wants 16000.
    Russ

Ford Mauler MrClemons will become famous soon enough MrClemons will become famous soon enough
    Recieved 96 Thanks in 63 Posts

the main thing i have noticed is modded out duramax's dont last. My dads was modded(intake/exhaust/chipped) and at 180k he was starting to have alot of problems. So i say look for one in stock form and your good to go!
    I LOATHE FORDS

Mud Master Spocker will become famous soon enough Spocker will become famous soon enough Spocker's Avatar
    Recieved 123 Thanks in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp_Rat View Post
    Looking at buying a 2004 Chevy Duramax crew cab with 144000 miles. Any problems I should be aware of? Any info would help. Thanks
    I have a 2005 chev duramax with 75k, I havent had any problems with the motor or trans, but i have replaced the oil pan gasket (not fun dealer did it had truck for a few days), rear axel seal, front diff seal, front pass. side wheel bearing, driver side axel boot, I all so snow plow with it . I have heard that the injecters are knowing to go out over a 100k, so I would see if they have been replaced, pretty spendy .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spocker For This Useful Post:

Swamp_Rat (09-28-2009)

Mud Maniac compoundfractureracing will become famous soon enough compoundfractureracing will become famous soon enough compoundfractureracing's Avatar
    Recieved 113 Thanks in 90 Posts

sounds like you got a lemon!!! MrClemons what year is your dad's truck? cause it does matter what kinda exhaust you run after 2005 cause it can cause turbo problems. I also know of a few truck with over 180K on them that are fine that have tuners and exhaust. Goes to show you every truck is different.
    IF IT AIN'T BROKE...YOU AIN'T HAVIN' FUN!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Cowboy & Mandy-

Mud Master redneckchevy is on a distinguished road redneckchevy's Avatar
    Recieved 19 Thanks in 16 Posts

I have a 02 with 187,000 have had no troubles with it the 02 and 04 have the same motor the LB7 injecters are warrenty until 200,000 miles

Mud Maniac bender77 is a jewel in the rough bender77 is a jewel in the rough bender77 is a jewel in the rough bender77's Avatar
    Recieved 259 Thanks in 167 Posts

injectors are the big issue with them, but like redneck says they are warrenty to 200,000
    it's hard to say with a used truck, if you don't know the history with it its hard to tell.
    These are the numbers I come up with, so it must be right.

craig

Well he repalced both front wheel bearings, transfercase and brakes. So I guess a few of the spending stuff has been replaced. Did not know that the injectors were warrantied to 200000. Thats cool! Has 5" straight exhast sounds like choking it down might be better.
    Russ

Mud Master kenbob87 will become famous soon enough kenbob87 will become famous soon enough kenbob87's Avatar
    Recieved 107 Thanks in 77 Posts

my buddy had an 05 with 4 inch, intake, stacked chips, and that thing didn't last long tranny problems, head gaskets, injectors, all before 100,000 miles. if you don't mod them they last awhile but those allisons don't hold up to mods well.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."

Cover your ears.........i going to do somthing LOUD soon!!!!