Custom Search

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 21.5x16.1 Tires

Mud Master Mud Hugger will become famous soon enough Mud Hugger will become famous soon enough Mud Hugger's Avatar
    Recieved 108 Thanks in 73 Posts

Thumbs down 21.5x16.1 Tires

Hey everyone,

I currently have 18.4-16.1 tires on my truck, I am putting 21.5-16.1's on it. A friend wants to use old tires and rims. I have heard people putting 16.1s on regular 16" wheels but I am unsure about it. And was wondering if anyone else has done this and if they had any problems doing so?? Guy told me it would blow off bead but does that 1/10th of an inch really cause it to do that???

Thanks guys

Mud Puppy ready4snow is on a distinguished road ready4snow's Avatar
    Recieved 0 Thanks in 0 Posts

Not a good idea. I know it can be done. Yes there is very little difference in rim diameter, but the bead area is considerably different. 16" rims are passenger car or light truck (generally interchangeable) with a narrow bead on the tire & a bead lock. 16.1" beads are for farm use and have a much wider bead on the tire (approx 1/2" wider) and a different style of bead (shape). The farm tire will seat on the outside lip of the rim, but also on the inner bead lock causing the bead of the tire to be seated crooked. Running higher pressures could cause the tire to blow off of rim, lower pressures will probably have a bead leak...flat or low tires. Running tubes with this tire & rim combo probably will work in the short term...since the bead is sitting further inboard & cocked up at an angle will possibly rub a hole in the tube around the bead area, especially at lower pressures.

Mud Puppy ready4snow is on a distinguished road ready4snow's Avatar
    Recieved 0 Thanks in 0 Posts

A quick question...Been thinking of putting on AG tires on my truck...Does anybody know an outlet for 16.1 rims with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern? Or custom make rims?

Mud Master Mud Hugger will become famous soon enough Mud Hugger will become famous soon enough Mud Hugger's Avatar
    Recieved 108 Thanks in 73 Posts

Ya thats pretty much what I thought, but wanted to know what others thought and or tried. Thanks for the response.

As far as your question....Ive seen some large yard tractors with 18.4-16.1's turf tires. on them. Im calling up a tractor salvage yard that I get parts from quite a bit. The 16.1 rims are on a lot of self propeled swathers or haybines. I get my centers made on a CNC plasma cutting table and weld them in my self.