Custom Search

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 351w-460 swap

Mud Puppy Nightmare is on a distinguished road
    Recieved 0 Thanks in 0 Posts

Alert 351w-460 swap

So i traded my old truck to a buddy for a 93 ford with the 351. come to find out it has two fried pistions. so i have a donor F250 with a running 460, tranny, and transfercase. I have Never don a small block to a big block engine swap. can anyone point me in the right direction. And i need her running my memorial weekend.

Mud Maniac stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew's Avatar
    Recieved 200 Thanks in 160 Posts

the 351 w and the 460 have a different bell housing. There maybe an adapter available to make your project work.
    [B]truck name
    No worries [/B]

Chewer 77highboy is on a distinguished road 77highboy's Avatar
    Recieved 4 Thanks in 4 Posts

uses different motor mounts too, youl need to salvage the mounts from the f250 chassis and stick them in the 93. those rivets are a pain in the a**. You can use a torch like i did but dont make the same mistake i did lol remember theres a brake line hiding behind one of those rivets on the other side of the crossmember and brake fluid is alot more flammable than you would think it is .

You will need an oil filter relocation kit too. Other than that it should fit right in, theres not a whole lot of room in the front of the motor though, i ended up having to go with electric fans.

I dont quite remember what i did for the transmission mounts, i believe i was able to use pre existing holes in the frame rails that were meant for the big block set up

Power Mudder 77 chevy is on a distinguished road 77 chevy's Avatar
    Recieved 26 Thanks in 24 Posts

i did the same swap on a 77 150 a couple years back. I bought motor mounts , oil pan , and power steering pump bracket from lml and it pretty much dropped in. I had to get a bigblock c6

Quote Originally Posted by 77 chevy View Post
    i did the same swap on a 77 150 a couple years back. I bought motor mounts , oil pan , and power steering pump bracket from lml and it pretty much dropped in. I had to get a bigblock c6
    does the lml need to be welded in or do they use the original motor mounts from the 351

Mud Maniac stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew has a spectacular aura about stevew's Avatar

I think he ment lnl and the motor mounts the sell will just bolt in.
    [B]truck name
    No worries [/B]

Chewer 84F350 is on a distinguished road 84F350's Avatar
    Recieved 2 Thanks in 2 Posts

Stay away from L&L stuff. In my opinion it is over priced and the mounts they made for a 351M to 460 swap were junk. I easily broke them. They were already on a truck I bought. I have heard of many other people braking them too. With a parts truck you should have everything you need to swap motors. The factory mounts are much better.
    You big issue is the transmission. You have not said which one you have.
    Do you plan on swapping the motor and transmission?
    If it is an auto, your current transmission will not work.
    If it is a stick, you can swap the bell housing on a 4 spd tranny, but if it is a 5 spd you need to change the transmission.
    1984 F-350 60 10.25 473 5spd 37" Goodyear MT's
    1995 F-150 460 5spd 60, 70, 40" TSL's

Yes I plan on swapping motor tranny tcase and axel. Another question is can I use the 351 wiring harness on the 460 because I have A 460 computer out of a 93 but the 460 is coming out of an 89 with the round computer connecter

What 351 is it?
    [B]truck name
    No worries [/B]

i belive its the windsor, its a small block. Did they make more than one small block 351?