Custom Search

+ Reply to Thread
    Premium Member TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench's Avatar
    Recieved 707 Thanks in 296 Posts

Default 03 f350 6.0 diesel ford turbo removal?

03 6.0 diesel ford turbo removal?

Anyone every taken these SOB things off?
    I rarely work on diesel but a friend has his in my shop here trying to get the turbo off.
    From what I can tell he has all the pedestal bolts removed and band clamps off.oil line removed and free from the drain. It does move around or wiggle freely but will NOT let go to remove it. Anyone went through this? Thank you.

Power Mudder Power Strokin' It is on a distinguished road Power Strokin' It's Avatar
    Recieved 18 Thanks in 18 Posts

Ah yes... the beloved 6 liters, I work on them regularly and the flanges inside the turbo like to hang up on up-pipe collector. I'm assuming you removed all three bolts because most people dont know about the bolt behind and underneath the turbo. The other thing you might have to do is bend that little tab on the down pipe out of the way. If you have everything loose or removed it should come out. I usually have to jack up the right side of the cab about 5" or so to get the turbo out, it makes it easier anyway. If you have any questions PM me because i know the whole top end of the damn things like the back of my hand.

I forgot to mention sometimes I have to pry on them a little bit to get them to pop... a good spot is on the right side (left if youre looking at it) under the compressor housing and pry off the EGR cooler.
    my only current mudder is my 06 Kawasaki Brute Force... Damn house and kids

'

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Power Strokin' It For This Useful Post:

TwistedWrench (02-28-2011)

Premium Member TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench is a splendid one to behold TwistedWrench's Avatar
    Recieved 707 Thanks in 296 Posts

I figured if I didn’t jump in it will never leave my place. I checked it out and sure as shat I found that hidden bolt you pointed out on the backside. I read about it on another site and asked him twice if he was sure he got all the bolts out and twice he assured me he did.
    Anyways after soaking it for a while, busting one ratchet and removing some knuckle skin I got that bolt out. What I fricken PITA.
    It appears that the cab does have to jack up also as you said. I got pissed and left it. He is supposed to be here around 5pm today to work on it again. Hopefully he can get the cab lifted and get the damn thing out.
    He has a power loss, lots of smoke and starts hard after its warm. If he lets it sit for a while it will start again. The only code that came up was for the icp. He replaced that PITA and the wiring connector and the code went away and it picks up faster now but still has a bad nose dive and the starting problem. He was told by a diesel mech that the turbo is probably dirty due to the bad icp and a previous egr problem it had. I am by no means a diesel mech and normally turn these away as fast as they come in. but trying to help him out.
    Does the dirty turbo sound right to you? I can’t seem to grasp that one myself but then again I rarely deal with turbo cars much less a diesel.
    Thank you! Greatly appreciate your help!
    I also have a new Verus snap-on scan tool so reading data is a breeze but I don’t know a lot about the data I am seeing when it comes to these toilets. Gasoline, yes/ diesel, no clue.

Power Mudder Power Strokin' It is on a distinguished road Power Strokin' It's Avatar

yeah, those turbos do get gunked up. For ****s and giggles pull out the EGR valve and look down in the EGR port and see if it there's alot of soot built up. I've had a ffew intake manifolds completely clogged around the EGR port. Plug the EGR cooler could be clogged up. The turbo is fairly easy to disassemble on the exhaust side but the intake side is something I leave alone. If he's got play money he'd be wise to look into buying an EGR delete kit (the complete kit). they're usually about $350ish. River City Diesel out of Peoria IL has the best one in my opinion. They keep all the soot and **** from getting back into the turbo. I could go on for days but if you're looking to just get it running again. just clean out the turbo and double check the EGR port since its two 8MM, 5/16 for us AMERICANS haha. Any other questions look me up on here. I'm starting to come back around on this site. Its been a while and I'm glad i can help.

'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Power Strokin' It For This Useful Post:

TwistedWrench (03-04-2011)

Trail Monkey soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green's Avatar
    Recieved 432 Thanks in 250 Posts

I've got an 04, if I ever have any problems, it's nice to know there is someone knowledgeable to ask.

What do you suggest to help keep the 6.0 alive? Mine has just over 100k, and it runs like a top, for now. I'm planning on doing the EGR delete this spring, anything else you would suggest?
    <<<<<www.mntrailmonkeys.com>>>>>

Where a government is afraid of its people, there is liberty. Where the people are afraid of their government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by soylent_green View Post
    I've got an 04, if I ever have any problems, it's nice to know there is someone knowledgeable to ask.

What do you suggest to help keep the 6.0 alive? Mine has just over 100k, and it runs like a top, for now. I'm planning on doing the EGR delete this spring, anything else you would suggest?
    No chips with stock head bolts... haha. If you're doing a full delete you're going to be pulling out the oil cooler so I'd suggest at least replacing it but company's do offer good bypass oil cooler with remote filters but they are a bit pricy (to me anyway). I have never installed any of them but like anything else they cant be too bad otherwise it wouldnt be a "bolt on" kit, right? The nice thing about the 03's and 04's is when you install EGR deletes it wont throw a code but 05 and up you'd have to have computer reflashed. Are you looking for performance or stock reliability?

'

Trail Monkey soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green is a name known to all soylent_green's Avatar
    Recieved 432 Thanks in 250 Posts

Truthfully, it's got plenty of power for what I need it for. I'm just thinking long term.

If it happens to make some better power along the way, oh well...
    <<<<<www.mntrailmonkeys.com>>>>>

Where a government is afraid of its people, there is liberty. Where the people are afraid of their government, there is tyranny. - Thomas Jefferson.

deleting that egr system will boost power and MPG

'

Mud Puppy Norseman is on a distinguished road
    Received 1 Thanks in 1 Post

Just a little plug of a site I like to get info from, powerstrokenation.com

Seems to be a good mix of guys that use their PSD's for daily drivers, drag racing and pulling.