Custom Search

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chewer sonoma69 is on a distinguished road sonoma69's Avatar
    Recieved 4 Thanks in 3 Posts

Alert Spark plug gap on a 97 vortec 350

Hey everyone.I was on the internet looking for the plug gap for my sonoma That I got from Fluffy Bully.I believe it is a vortec 350 around a 97 out of a Tahoe.I found so many different answers it isn't funny.I've seen from .035 to .060,or "just look under the hood idiot"Lol.So If any one knows I would apreiciate the right gap.
    Also another vortec question.The motor starts fine cold,but after a few minutes it start to idle funny.Like the RPM jumps between 500 and 900.Put it indrive and it gets worse.give it gas and it sound like it boggs,but if you kind of feather the throttle it will come out of it and then it goes fine.In park it does the same even if you barely push the gas.The plugs are being changed after I find the right gap.I did pull number one cyl.It kind of looked fouled and was kind of wet with a little gas smell.
    When it is warm the motor will start but almost like a tractor each cylinder,and it won't start until you let off the key other wise it will just crank over.
    Any help would be much Thanked.
    Last edited by sonoma69; 04-08-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: miss spelled words

Mud Maniac mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux's Avatar
    Recieved 592 Thanks in 361 Posts

Can you check the fuel psi? Do you have access to a obdII scanner and is the 16 pin connector working?
    I'm only here for the MUD

I'm Ken or Hey F'r

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mudtrux For This Useful Post:

TwistedWrench (04-08-2010)

Super Moderator Thumper is just really nice Thumper is just really nice Thumper is just really nice Thumper is just really nice Thumper's Avatar
    Recieved 340 Thanks in 224 Posts

if you call a parts store they will tell you the gap for the plugs i would guess .060" but i don't know for shure also whan you set the gap you should use a feller gauge and a ramp type gauge. the ramp style will give ou an uneven gap.
    Last edited by TwistedWrench; 04-08-2010 at 07:57 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thumper For This Useful Post:

TwistedWrench (04-08-2010)

Thanks everyone for the input.I will give it a try tomorrow.Have a good one
    one more thing how do you thank someone?

Mud Maniac UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY is a splendid one to behold UFOSPY's Avatar
    Recieved 498 Thanks in 193 Posts

right below were it says rep power " thank this post" push it
    FOUND ON ROADSIDE DEAD!!! ROADKILL :D[COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Fixedsys"][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] Rob

Mud Maniac PRINCETON_JAKE has a spectacular aura about PRINCETON_JAKE has a spectacular aura about PRINCETON_JAKE has a spectacular aura about PRINCETON_JAKE's Avatar
    Recieved 208 Thanks in 155 Posts

Like twisted said, check/set the timming with a scan tool, even if it costs you.and install the ac plugs.

also take off the distributer cap and check the contacts on the cap and rotor, if there good, check for continuity between the outside and the inside off all 8 terminals, i have seen them horizontal caps break contact inside and lose connection.

if it still is acting up check for vacume leaks on the intake gaskets, plenum gaskets, and aroubd the injector harness. all you have to do is spray carb cleaner around all the gasket surfaces, and seals while the motor is idling, if it revs up tou probably have a leak.

also thes motors are some what known for fuel pressure regulators going bad which can effect the starting and idle.

sorry for the long post just triying to help.
    STREET TRUCK
    1986 CHEVY K30 CREW CAB SHORT BOX 454 TURBO 400 NP205 DANA 60 AND A 14BOLT

MUD TRUCK
    S10 NEEDS WORK (the original mudslinger/instigator)

Mud Maniac mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux is a name known to all mudtrux's Avatar
    Recieved 592 Thanks in 361 Posts

Do you want to sell that truck? PM me if it's reasonable.
    I'm only here for the MUD

I'm Ken or Hey F'r

Well I never did get to work on it worked late Fri.but did remember that the temp sensor or what ever it is called is not hooked up.(The one to the computer on the head)It had a wire that someone pluged into it that ran to nuthing.I am trying to remember if when I unpluged it if that is when it started acting up.I am going to plug it back in,and see what happens.

I don't See a thank this post just a star and a triangle

Hey everyone I think I figured it out.It is the temp control sensor.It is not pluged in.The wire burnt off it and they put a wire to nothing on it.After it warms up it run great.Thanks for all the input I did learn somethings!I still can't find a thanks button.