PDA

View Full Version : USMUD.com

Nova Bandit
12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I've been debating about something. I bought the domain name USMUD.com. I'm trying to decide if I want to change the name and address of minnesotamud.com to usmud.com. I have always wanted this site to be a place for off roaders from all over to chat and share ideas, not just Minnesotans.

I was talking to a friend about this last night, and she put it, what would someone from here think of a site called "nebraskamud.com" or "IllinoisMud.com". Pretty lame. I'm guessing someone from a place like Louisiana is thinking the same thing about our site name.

If I do this switchover, typing minnesotamud.com into your computer will still bring you to the site. We would keep these forums and all our posts, but I would eventually make more sections for things like regional events, instead of one events page.

How do any of you feel about this?

tie6044
12-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I always liked the "localness" of the current name but I agree if you want to get more people on the board you would have to use the USMUD name. You are right, I probably wouldn't get on another "statename.mud" board either.

Nova Bandit
12-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I understand exactly what you mean. I would always keep the domain MinnesotaMud.com. I could even keep a section of the forums dedicated to only "Minnesota Mudders", seeing as that is our roots here.

It will probably be a little while before anything happens with it, but I would like to get all the feedback I can.

SuperDirty
12-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I like the idea but also like the localness (if thats a word) of this site I go to alot of national sites and you get lost cause there are so many people on there.

Here is another issue Classifieds. On pirate if you try to buy or sell anything you just end up talking about shiiping. It would be cool to seperate classifieds by region.

HELLRAISER
12-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I dont know I guess if your goal is to just get more people using your site, its probably a good move. But I agree you would need somwhere for the local diehards to still connect.

Nova Bandit
12-01-2006, 04:30 PM
My goal isn't just to get as many numbers as I can. I really want to have a place where people contribute and have conversations and share knowledge.

As for all our current users, what I would probably end up doing is creating a whole new usergroup category, and create a forum that only they can see and post to. And, of course, they would be more than welcome to post to the rest of the site as well.

ChevyUnlimited
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't think you should change minnesotamud.com what is talked about on this site is all within our state. I dont know about others but I feel very at home on this site. If it was that broad I wouldnt have as much interest in the site anymore, although if you created another site usmud.com i would gladly join

77fordf-150
12-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Yeah I like how it mostly us in minnesota. Howeever I have been seeing more people from different states starting to join

Christoff
12-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I'd say get the other one also and direct both of them here, and then on the forums you can keep one area for local stuff around here. Who knows if you attract enough new people you cuold be creating areas specified for places all over the country.

77fordf-150
12-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Do what other sites do and make local chapters. Like midwest region which would obviously have all the midwest states and so on and so forth. But like said before the only reason I came to this site was because its Minnesotamud I like it just how it is.

89Orion
12-01-2006, 07:19 PM
The main reason I joined was because the members were local. I personally think making it nationwide would take a lot of the appeal away. This is one forum I can actually keep up with the new posts and feel like I know most people here. It has a homey feel, almost like family.

Another forum I belong to I never post on, other than the local chapter. People get lost among the crowds, unless they post religiously. I've searched Pirate a few times, but I'll never post there. Too many people, too many opinions. I vote to keep it local, but still allowing anyone to join.

Diesel Power
12-02-2006, 03:58 PM
i think it would be great to open up the site to 'usmud' but then still keep a forum for the original minnesota mudder's

Diggerz
12-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I really like the local appeal. but expanding the site to different areas is a good idea. If you could keep this site the way it is and add it as a branch of USMUD that would be the way to go. that way we dont all get lost in the crowd of a nationwide site.

ox_man
12-02-2006, 11:07 PM
i agree i like the fact that this is local and that we all have been to some of the same events (knowing or not). going national could be good for more experianced knowlege from other. also i like your thoughts of just adding on and keeping this page seperated sorta. i feel at home here even though i live in wisconsin but i live right on the boarder

WRECK$HIT
12-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Its a tough call to make. I like how it is all local and eventually everybody will probably meet each other at some event or the other. You go national it will be hard to keep up with the page even if there is a different section. I think if other people see this site and see that it is only minnesotamud it will give them the idea of making a site for there local area.