PDA

View Full Version : What should I do...

josh88ford
04-06-2006, 03:10 PM
After putting in my 4" susp. lift, the ball joints were showing how wore out they were. Being a highschool student, and paying for the truck to get fixed, parts etc, I backed off the $900 ball joint replacement from a shop in town. We were planning on doing it ourselves, but found a guy who has acess to a shop, and has done ball joint replacements before. Well, turns out the owner of the shop did almost all the work without telling the guy I THOUGHT was going to do it. He ended up over tourqing my ball joints, overtourqing the bearings, didnt put a cotter pin in the tie rods, didnt put in the grease zurks, when they were included in the ball joint boxes i gave him, and broke my lockout hub on the drivers side.

This guy who did my work drove it because the cb was tuned, which i never had it tuned, and was on PA when i dropped it off. The seat was moved foreward and a lottery card laying on the seat. You could tell the bearings were overtourqed and ball joints steering memory was changed, steering over bumps loose etc, so he cant give me the excuse he didnt know it was like that.

I contacted the guy who was going to do this for me,(not the installer) and he was pretty ticked off too that he did all the work without telling him. I paid $175, originally $150, plus about $10 worth of bolts for hub that he had to replace..few extra bucks for which i thought would be good work..
The guy who did this work doesnt have a phone i can contact, but he is sapose to contact me.

To get all this stuff replaced, and FIXED, its $500:mad: Originally, it would have been $70 for alignment, and more for new camber bushings. They need to take the axle off to un tourqe the ball joints etc.

What would you all do about this? I prolly wont be able to get more then $150 back...Its too bad this shop no longer has their business title, or i would be getting a brand new axle:)

77fordf-150
04-06-2006, 10:13 PM
wow dude Josh that sucks... Thats ****ing bull****, they are lucky they didnt do that to me or I would be freaking out on that guy...

HELLRAISER
04-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Wow that just sucks I think its going to end up being one of those damn life lessons. good luck with everything

Lil Swampy
04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
i think your probly going to get hosed on that one even know it sucks

Nova Bandit
04-07-2006, 02:16 PM
i think your probly going to get hosed on that one even know it sucks

Unfortunatly I am going to have to agree with Swampy. I don't see how you could make this guy fix what he messed up, unless he happens to be a really nice guy.

Moral of the story, learn how to work on your own vehicles. There are plenty of books that can teach you how to do things like that. That way, if you screw it up, no one is to blame but you, and you know how not to do it next time!

josh88ford
04-07-2006, 03:02 PM
It was that we couldnt of done this ourselves, but after renting all the proper tools, it would have amounted to more then what i had teh guy install them for. The guy that i was having put in knows how to put these in correctly, but the guy who owns the shop, which now i found he is a possible meth head, did it himself without telling the guy until he was almost finished.

what a ****in pile of ****

Nova Bandit
04-13-2006, 09:11 AM
If you do decide to start working on your own stuff, a lot of people here have the knowldge of how to do things, and would be more than willing to give you some hints.

As far as tools, you have to start somewhere. Thats how most of us got our collection of tools... buying things we needed to do a specific job. Then the next time you have to do something, you already have the tools. Plus, most tools are useful in more than one situation.