PDA

View Full Version : Today.....

jonesy250f_101
03-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Soooo today me and a bunch of buddies went wheeling (i was just along for the ride). The truck i was in was leader. We were just lookin for a good hill climb and we found a trail goin down hill into a gully and we figured there was a good hill climb on the other side. So we're driving down this hill, the other rigs stayed back all small pickups by the way except one but that was on street tires. We can see the bottom of the hill now and it looks a little too bad for everyone else becuase at the bottom of the hill there is a creek and there is all mud around it. We start to slow down to put it in reverse and we hit the brakes but this mud is SLICK and we start sliding. So now we cant back up becuase we cant stop so we figured we'll just go down the hill, climb up the otherside and turn around up on the other hil. We give it some gas and when we got to the bottom of the hill we hit the small creek and bounce around a little bit, nothing un-normal, we start goin up the other side and are loosin ALOT of speed fast. Turning left and right trying to find traction somewhere failed, we were stopped. Got in reverse and backed up and the rig was havin a hard time in that mud, the funny thing was that the mud, now that we were in it didnt look that bad looked easier then some other mud we were in earlier. Turns out, the reason we were havin such a hard time was that the 4 wheel drive went out. So after goin in forward and reverse to find any good traction ( we had some but we didnt have enough to climb the hill) failed we decided we were stuck.
To make a VERY long story short, 4 hours, a busted front U-joint, and the rear end totally dead later we got up this rig out of the gully and we had to tow it 20 miles home. Not a very fun day but its a risk you take wheelin

Nova Bandit
03-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Wow!

I think we've all had days like that!

What kind of truck was this? And did I read that right? You blew out one of the front U-Joints and the rear end? OUCH!

How did you end up getting it out of the gully?

HELLRAISER
03-06-2006, 07:07 AM
That sounds like the troubles I would have? But at least you understand that it is the chance you take, and somtimes it sucks.

Lil Swampy
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
if these things never happened wheelin wouldnt be as much fun

HELLRAISER
03-06-2006, 02:25 PM
if these things never happened wheelin wouldnt be as much fun

You are correct sir!!

jonesy250f_101
03-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Wow!

I think we've all had days like that!

What kind of truck was this? And did I read that right? You blew out one of the front U-Joints and the rear end? OUCH!

How did you end up getting it out of the gully?

My buddys truck was a 76 Ford f250 and yes you read right no power to any tires. We ended up using the comealong to climb like 3 inches per pull, we would hook it from tree to tree till we got to a lesser steep of the hill, then we let some air out of the street tires on the bigger truck and backed it in. We hooked it up to the other truck, had everyone hop in the back and lay down for some weight, and floored it. We did that like 5 times and it wasnt working too well so we decided to have everyone push the broken truck while the truck pulled, that worked alot better gaining about 5ft per pull. But this was easily a 200+ ft hill but we got about 150ft one one pull, we had 6 guys pushing it but by the end of that run only me and one other were pushing.
once we finally got up the hill we noticed a real bad burning rubber smell and saw some smoke coming up from under the big truck, we realized the spare had slipped out of place and was touching an extremely hot exhaust, we quickly pulled it off of it and saw that the tire had burned all the way to the metal bands in it. I looked at the tow rope and it was frayed so we will be needing a new one of those too. After we were on our way again, towing that 250 20 miles to its home the day was over and i had to drive another 2 hours to mine. A very full day if you ask me.